Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Christ Centered Childbirth" by Kelly Townsend

For anyone who is pregnant or might become pregnant in the future, I would like to recommend the book "Christ Centered Childbirth" by Kelly Townsend. I read this when I was pregnant with Alayna and found it not only informative, but it transformed my apprehensiveness into peace. It brought the focus back to God where it belongs. It helped me not "worry" so much and trust that God will take care of me and my baby. I saw this review of the book and thought it was so well said, I'd include it here. The author makes a reference to Romans 12:2, so I looked it up. The verse is familiar to me, but I'd never thought about it with birth in mind and I'd like to share it with you.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

What is the current "pattern of this world" in the birthing world? Go to an OB, do whatever they tell you to do, conform to their standards and protocols regardless of whether or not what they are advising is (a) true and (b) in the best interest of you and your baby. I would encourage all women to not be afraid to challenge their doctor....ask questions like "why are you advising me to be induced?" and "Am I healthy? Is my baby healthy? What is the reason for this intervention?" Also, pray for discernment that you will know when there really is a medical need and when your doctor is not thinking in your best interest.....c-section because the baby is "taking too long" or might be "too big", induction because you're two seconds passed your due date or the doctor isn't going to be on call this weekend. You can always ask "is this the only option....what are my alternatives and what are the risks/benefits to those alternatives?" Someone I know would always ask herself "what is the next best thing?" if what she wanted turned out not to be a possibility.

I honestly do believe that my mind has been renewed by everything I've learned about birth in the last 3 or so years. God wants us to draw close to Him and I think for many women (me included) he uses childbirth to reinitiate that relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment